Formed in 1994, the Toronto Bead Society (TBS) is a volunteer group of people who share an abiding love of, and enthusiasm for, beads, beadwork, and related jewellery-making skills. TBS is an affiliated member of the Ontario Crafts Council.
Revised Oct 2013, Pending Approval
Why Join the Toronto Bead Society? There’re many reasons!
Meet great people who love to talk about beads!
Yes – we understand the addiction - and share the joy!
Wait – there’s more - Here’s what you get as a TBS member:
- Entry to all monthly meetings
- We meet monthly at Ryerson University, Room POD250, 380 Victoria Street (east of Yonge Street, between College and Dundas).
- The second Wednesday of every month from 7 to 9 pm.
- Meetings are every month from September to June, with no meetings in July and August.
- Advance notice of registrations for special meetings and events
- Sign up early for the Bead Fair tables (which sell out quickly)
- Sign up and get first pick of classes on technique nights (twice a year)
- Sign up early for Bag o' beads challenge. A terrific event held each year where each member pays $10 to received a selection of beads and has 2 months to "make something" using at least one of each bead type in the bag. Great fun to see everyone efforts 2 months later.
- Sign up early for classes by special guest artists – usually once per year the TBS invites an international bead artist to teach in Toronto.
- Discounts at numerous local stores and on-line suppliers
- The list is growing – lots of local bead vendors welcome your business with discounts to members. Check the Member Links page and, next time you shop, ask if the merchant gives a discount to TBS members.
- Carry your membership card for the discount.
- Members of TBS receive a 10% discount on their Ontario Crafts Council memberships.
- Sales space at a monthly meeting
- You can have ½ a table in the “Marketplace” area at designated TBS meetings to sell supplies, jewellery and related materials.
- No charge, first come, as space is available.
- (Not allowed at Techniques Nights)
- Link from the TBS website
- If you have a bead-related website you would like to promote to members (or the world) you can have a listing on the Member Links page.
- Garage Sale meeting in June
- Members only meeting
- Participate in the "Garage Sale" and sell your "bead related mistakes and miscalculations" (or anything bead related)!
- Yummy food too!
- Show your work in the Bead Gallery on the TBS website.
- Access to the TBS Yahoo! Chat Group
- Join the TBS chat group on Yahoo to keep in touch through your e-mail.
- Lots of bead news and events
- Ask a question
- Submit a photo for the Bead Calendar
- Members can submit photos of work for consideration in the TBS yearly calendar.
- 13 images are selected for publication
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Make a difference in the life a budding beader!
- Make friends and help out as a volunteer - you will learn lots!