From September to June, the Toronto Bead Society usually meets on the second Wednesday of every month at the Toronto Central Grosvenor Street YMCA Centre (west of Yonge Street, 2 blocks south of Wellesley subway station). Please check our Meeting Schedule for actual dates.
If you like to learn, look and talk about beads, we invite you to join our society.
Dec 13, 2017 - Holiday Social, Show and Tell
Please join us at the December Holiday Social, Show and Tell meeting. We will continue the tradition of bringing holiday treats to share with the group, but instead of a techniques night, we will have a holiday themed Show and Tell.
- Holiday themed beadwork
- Sweet or savoury treats
- Unfinished object (UFO) to work on
Also at this meeting:
- Bag of Beads Kits Distribution
The TBS Bag of Beads Challenge is back!
What's in the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge?
We will find out at the December meeting when the Bags are handed out. All we can tell you is that we will include (but not be limited to) small beads, larger beads maybe some crystals, perhaps some semi-precious stones, and most importantly a "stumper". What's a stumper? It is an oh-so-frustrating item that has no hole, is definitely not a bead, and makes you think in new and creative ways about your beading.
How does the Bag of Beads Challenge work?
- Sign up at the November TBS meeting. The cost is $10 per bag. You can always pay when you pick up your bag in December, but there are limited bags available!
- Step 2.
- Come to the December meeting to pick up your bag.
- Step 3.
- Create your design during December and January (see rules below). It does not have to be a piece of jewellery, it can be anything!
- Step 4.
- Bring your work to the February TBS meeting, finished or not, to share with everyone. No speeches necessary! Just prepare a little card outlining your inspiration, the techniques used and what you learned from the experience! Then marvel at the incredible variety of interpretations of the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge by members.
There are only three rules:
- You must use at least ONE of everything in the bag (including the stumper).
- You can add anything you like: beads, wire, shells, kitchen sink, or any other thing you want to add.
- Bring your work to the meeting in February, finished or not, to share with everyone
If you are a beginner and a bit intimidated by the challenge, remember one thing, EVERYONE who has participated in this challenge was a BEGINNER at one time. This is a fun opportunity to challenge yourself, and just maybe surprise yourself!
Remember, there are only 100 bags available!
Take a look at what members did in previous years: Bead Challenge Galleries.
|Fri Dec 15 @11:00AM until Jan 21|
Diligence and Elegance: The Nature of Japanese Textiles
|Fri Dec 15 @11:00AM until Feb 25|
Tied, Dyed and Woven: Ikat Textiles from Latin America
|Wed Jan 10 @ 7:00PM |
TBS Meeting: Pam Kearns