From September to June, the Toronto Bead Society usually meets on the second Wednesday of every month at the Toronto Central Grosvenor Street YMCA Centre (west of Yonge Street, 2 blocks south of Wellesley subway station). Please check our Meeting Schedule for actual dates.
If you like to learn, look and talk about beads, we invite you to join our society.
|Scheduling Notice: Due to a scheduling conflict at the YMCA, the January meeting is one week later than usual. Please come to the January meeting on January 16, 2019.|
Nov 14, 2018 - Bead Buffet
In memory of Stefani Ogden, we will bring as many of her beads as we can to the November meeting. For a fixed price, you will be able to stuff as much as you can into a zip-loc bag as long as it can still zip shut. There will be a large selection of seed, fire-polish, glass (pressed, lamp, furnace, etc), ceramic, semi-precious and metal beads, as well as findings, stringing materials and tools. Small bags will be available for $10, large bags are $25.
Guests are welcome with the usual $5 entry fee.
Also at this meeting:
- Bag of Beads Challenge
The TBS Bag of Beads Challenge is back!
What's in the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge?
We will find out at the December meeting when the Bags are handed out. All we can tell you is that we will include (but not be limited to) small beads, larger beads maybe some crystals, perhaps some semi-precious stones, and most importantly a "stumper". What's a stumper? It is an oh-so-frustrating item that has no hole, is definitely not a bead, and makes you think in new and creative ways about your beading.
How does the Bag of Beads Challenge work?
- Sign up at the November TBS meeting. The cost is $10 per bag. You can always pay when you pick up your bag in December, but there are limited bags available!
- Step 2.
- Come to the December meeting to pick up your bag.
- Step 3.
- Create your design during December and January (see rules below). It does not have to be a piece of jewellery, it can be anything!
- Step 4.
- Bring your work to the February TBS meeting, finished or not, to share with everyone. No speeches necessary! Just prepare a little card outlining your inspiration, the techniques used and what you learned from the experience! Then marvel at the incredible variety of interpretations of the TBS Bag of Beads Challenge by members.
There are only three rules:
- You must use at least ONE of everything in the bag (including the stumper).
- You can add anything you like: beads, wire, shells, kitchen sink, or any other thing you want to add.
- Bring your work to the meeting in February, finished or not, to share with everyone
If you are a beginner and a bit intimidated by the challenge, remember one thing, EVERYONE who has participated in this challenge was a BEGINNER at one time. This is a fun opportunity to challenge yourself, and just maybe surprise yourself!
Remember, there are only a limited number of bags available!
Take a look at what members did in previous years: Bead Challenge Galleries.
|Wed Nov 14 @ 6:00PM until May 26, 2019|
BEADS, THEY'RE SEWN SO TIGHT
|Wed Nov 14 @ 7:00PM |
TBS Meeting: Bead Buffet
|Wed Dec 12 @ 7:00PM |
TBS Meeting: Holiday Make and Take